- 2017 Trip to Japan
- 2016 Trip to Sicily.
- 2015 No trips. Instead getting solar panels installed on our roof.
- 2015 Honorary Member of the Swiss Academy of Humanities and Social Sciences
- 2014 Trips to Wales and Cappadocia (Turkey)
- 2013 Travelling in Iran
2012 Visits to Rome and Istanbul, travelling in Finland
2011 Honorary Member of the Ukrainian Shakespeare Centre, Zaporizhia
2011 Travelling in Peru
2011 Visit to the Carriacou Carnival (to see the Shakespeare Mas)
2010 Travelling in India (Rajasthan)
2010 Visit to St. Lucia
2009 Travelling in Central Asia (Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kirgistan, Kasakhstan)
2006 Visit to the Trinidad Carnival
2006 Winter: Working at the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington D.C.
2002 Elected Fellow of the English Association (FEA)
2002 Winter: Working at the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington D.C.
2000-17 Regular visits to the Caribbean (mainly St. Vincent and the Grenadines)
1993 Travelling in Brazil
1993 Visiting Fellow, The Shakespeare Institute, University of Birmingham, Stratford-upon-Avon.
1990 Visiting fellow, Swiss Television DRS, February/March Bericht
- 1990 Teaching at the University of Freiburg (Germany)
- 1989 Teaching at the University of Zurich
- 1986-87 Teaching at the University of Geneva
- 1984 Teaching at the University of East Anglia, Norwich
- 1984 Joris born.
- 1981 Lina born
- 1980-2007 Professor of English Literature and head of English department,University of Basel
- 1979 Visit to Guatemala
- 1979-80 Research Fellow, American Council of Learned Societies (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor)
- 1978 "Habilitation," University of Basel
- 1978 Rotary International Group Study Exchange, New York und Bermuda
- 1976 British Council course on "Modernism", Cambridge
- 1976 Anna born.
- 1974-79 "Wissenschaftlicher Assistent" (equivalent to assistant professor), University of Basel
- 1972-74 Assistant Editor "Englisch-deutsche Studienausgabe der Dramen Shakespeares," with a grant from the Swiss National Science Foundation
- 1971-72 Working at the British Library, London, with a grant from the Cooper Foundation. Teaching German at the City of London Polytechnic.
- 1971 Dr. phil., University of Basel (English, German, History of Arts)
- 1971 Marriage with Kristina Mildh.
- 1966 Working at Fulbourn Mental Hospital in Cambridge (England) and in the University Library there.
- 1964 First prize Basler Literaturkredit "Junge Autoren" for drama, commendation for poetry
- 1963-66 Working as a journalist for Basler Nachrichten
- 1962 First prize in a short story competition organized by Kontakt: Die Taschenzeitschrift der Jungen
- 1962-63 Literary magazine Bagatelle Co-founder and editor
- 1951-63 Schools in Basel
- 1944 Born, the third of four brothers. Parents: Hermann and Hanny Engler, social workers.