- 2015 Honorary Member of the Swiss Academy of Humanities and Social Sciences
- 2011 Honorary Member of the Ukrainian Shakespeare Centre, Zaporizhia
2006 Winter: Working at the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington D.C.
2002 Elected Fellow of the English Association (FEA)
2002 Winter: Working at the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington D.C.
1993 Visiting Fellow, The Shakespeare Institute, University of Birmingham, Stratford-upon-Avon.
1990 Visiting fellow, Swiss Television DRS, February/March Bericht
- 1990 Teaching at the University of Freiburg (Germany)
- 1989 Teaching at the University of Zurich
- 1986-87 Teaching at the University of Geneva
- 1984 Teaching at the University of East Anglia, Norwich
- 1984 Joris born.
- 1981 Lina born
- 1980-2007 Professor of English Literature and head of English department,University of Basel
- 1979-80 Research Fellow, American Council of Learned Societies (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor)
- 1978 "Habilitation," University of Basel
- 1978 Rotary International Group Study Exchange, New York und Bermuda
- 1976 British Council course on "Modernism", Cambridge
- 1976 Anna born.
- 1974-79 "Wissenschaftlicher Assistent" (equivalent to assistant professor), University of Basel
- 1972-74 Assistant Editor "Englisch-deutsche Studienausgabe der Dramen Shakespeares," with a grant from the Swiss National Science Foundation
- 1971-72 Working at the British Library, London, with a grant from the Cooper Foundation. Teaching German at the City of London Polytechnic.
- 1971 Dr. phil., University of Basel (English, German, History of Arts)
- 1971 Marriage with Kristina Mildh.
- 1966 Working at Fulbourn Mental Hospital in Cambridge (England) and in the University Library there.
- 1964 First prize Basler Literaturkredit "Junge Autoren" for drama, commendation for poetry
- 1963-66 Working as a journalist for Basler Nachrichten
- 1962 First prize in a short story competition organized by Kontakt: Die Taschenzeitschrift der Jungen
- 1962-63 Literary magazine Bagatelle Co-founder and editor
- 1951-63 Schools in Basel
- 1944 Born, the third of four brothers. Parents: Hermann and Hanny Engler, social workers.